If you've never tried Broccoli Crack (or Crack Broccoli), you're in for a treat!
This Clean Eating Broccoli Crack is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and can be made nut-free. Not to mention, it's incredibly tasty!
This delicious baked broccoli makes a perfect side, salad topper or snack. With hints of lemon and a salty crunch, this stuff seriously hits the spot. It's so satisfying; it could quite possibly become an addiction (hence the name!). But, I guess if there's any addiction to have, it may as well be to something as nutritious as this!
Broccoli is a surprisingly nutrient-dense food. It's an excellent source of vitamins C, K, A and folate. It's also rich in magnesium, phosphorous, and potassium. Not to mention, it's a great source of fibre and plant protein!
One great thing about broccoli is that, for the most part, cooking it increases its nutritional value. While the heat does cause a reduction in some vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, it does the reverse with other nutrients. Studies have shown that cooking broccoli increases the level of certain health-promoting antioxidants.
Broccoli, being a part of the Brassica family, contains goitrogens. These compounds inhibit the absorption of iodine, making raw broccoli beneficial in the case of hyperthyroidism, as it goitrogens block the absorption of iodine. However, in the case of hypothyroidism, these iodine blockers are not at all beneficial. Cooking broccoli (or any other brassica veg), deactivates the goitrogens, allowing proper iodine absorption.
THIS RECIPE IS...
More Clean Eating Recipes You Might Like
Clean Eating Broccoli Crack
- 2 heads Broccoli (chopped)
- ¼ cup Avocado Oil
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 4 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1.5 tsp Lemon Juice (Freshly Squeezed)
- 1 tbsp Almond Flour
- ⅓ - 1 cup Pumpkin Seeds (or any other desired nut or seed)
- ½ tsp Himalayan / Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a large bowl, mix oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast and almond flour.
- Once the mixture is well combined, add in the broccoli florets and toss until broccoli is evenly coated.
- Pour onto a baking sheet and spread out evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Flip the broccoli and place back in the oven to bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
This Broccoli Crack is also great grilled on the BBQ! Follow the same instructions, it may just take a little longer on the grill.