I used to think making a plant-based yogurt would be some long and complicated process, but during a cooking class in my Nutrition training, my teacher showed us an extremely simple way to make homemade, plant-based yogurts. Needless to say, I haven't bought any yogurt since!
Soaked cashews blend up so nice and creamy; they make the perfect plant-based yogurt.
Here are a few more reasons I love cashews.
They are an excellent source of protein.
Their fat content is 65% oleic acid (a monounsaturated oil known to provide protective benefits against heart disease and cancer).
They are also a great source of magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc.
That being said, it's important to buy organic whenever possible as many nuts grown in North America can be with sprayed glyphosate. Click here to learn more about choosing organic.
THIS RECIPE IS...
- 2 cups Cashews (soaked)
- ¾ cup Water
- 1 tsp Pure Maple Syrup / Coconut Sugar
- 1 Capsule Probiotics
- Pinch of Himalayan / Sea Salt
- Place the water, cashews and maple syrup in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Once smooth and creamy, transfer to a glass jar.
- Break open the probiotic capsule and stir in the powder until well mixed.
- Cover the jar with a clean cotton cloth. Let sit at room temperature for 24 hours, or to speed up the process, place in the oven with the light on for 8 - 12 hours (or overnight).